Candle Care

 


*FOR THE FIRST LIGHT*

So So SO important for the life of your candle!! When you light a new candle for the first time, you have to let the wax melt across the entire surface of the candle. If you don't wanna waste valuable wax and reduce your candle's life, please follow this rule! Did you know candles have a memory? The wax of the candle will only melt as far as it did the very first time you burned it. That's why it's imperative  to let the entire top layer of wax melt to the edge of the container the first time you light it. A good rule of thumb is to let your candle burn one hour for every inch in diameter. So, if a candle is 3" across you should let it burn for three hours. This gives it plenty of time to melt the top layer evenly, and it also helps to achieve the strongest, most bold smell. 

Trim your wick to 1/4 of an inch EVERY. TIME.

Why though? Well it gives your candle the best and most clean burn. When you leave the wick untrimmed and full of leftover carbon, the candle will have a duller flame that is more likely to produce lots of black smoke. Nobody likes a black, soot-stained jar (this is a big pet peeve of mine)!! 
It's really ideal to trim your wick after every four hours of burn time. If you notice the tip of your wick looks like a mushroom, it's time to trim that thang! You can do this with regular scissors, wick trimmers, or even nail clippers (innovative).
 

 Try to not burn your soy candle for more than four hours at a time

 Not only does this help make your candle last longer, it's also a safety measure! If you let it burn for hours on end, the wick will become unstable and produce a larger flame. It will start to smoke and release soot into the air.  Not a good situation any way you look at it. So if you want your candle to last as long as possible (no-brainer) make sure you extinguish the flame after four hours and trim the wick before relighting it :) It's that simple!

Candles don't like sunlight! 

Did you know candles can fade and warp? The sun, and harsh indoor lighting, can cause unsightly damage to your candles over time. Keeping them out of direct sunlight (preferably in cooler, darker places) will extend the beauty and scent of your Golden Gal candle :)